Essay Contest Rules - $1,000 Odd Fellows Annual Scholarship
COMPLETE OFFICIAL RULES FOR HIGH SCHOOL SENIORS OF THE FOLLOWING ELIGIBLE SCHOOL DISTRICTS:
Our 2018 Winner Cassi Colangelo!
Cassi Colangelo of Santa Maria won our inagural essay scholarship contest in 2018. Presenting Cassi with the check made out to the school she is attending at the University of California Los Angeles is our Noble Grand Joe Avila, Jr. and Warden Joseph Dowdy. When asked what her major will be, she said that she plans to study English and Administration and will return to the Central Coast to become a school principal; perhaps in her hometown of Santa Maria.
Our 2019 Winner Isaiah Sanchez!
Isaiah Sanchez of Santa Maria won our 2nd annual essay scholarship contest in 2019. Isaiah graduated from Lompoc High School and is attending Allan Hancock College.
2020 ESSAY SUBJECT
Answer the Question:
If you were an Odd Fellow, what would you do?
Pick a Project and Tell Us How You Would Do it...
Would you raise funds for a worthy project? Would you create a volunteer effort to do something no one else is doing? How would you make a difference with Odd Fellows behind you? Take a look at our website, research Odd Fellows on the web and tell us what you would do if you were an Odd Fellow in at least 300 words.
2020 Essay Contest Official Rules
Essay Contest Prize
One finalist will receive a scholarship award of $1,000.
The Essay Contest Prizes are sponsored by the Lompoc Odd Fellows.
Deadline for entries submitted by mail, web and email.
Finalists invited to read their essays at our lodge.
The winner and their school will be notified by email and phone and letter before this date.
- High school seniors of the qualifying school districts are asked to write and submit an essay based on the theme of the Essay Contest (for that year) in 300 to 1,000 words.
- Entry form on our website at the bottom of this page.
- Students may enter the 2020 contest by the February 28, 2020, deadline one of THREE ways: (1) Download the entry form, collect required signatures and then mail it in by US Post with the printed essay. Mailed entries postmarked after the deadline will not be considered. (2) Download the entry form, fill it out completely, use a camera to take a picture of the signed entry form and upload the picture with a PDF of the essay by deadline. (3) Use the website to enter by deadline.
- Students may visit our lodge for additional research when accompanied by a parent on nights that our Odd Fellows and Rebekahs lodges are in session. Again, see our website at http://LompocOddFellows.com for more information. Our dress code is business casual.
- Prize checks will be made out to the school of choice in the name of the winner.
- Family members of Odd Fellows and Rebekahs are ineligible to enter this essay contest as the IOOF (both nationally and on the state level) have their own scholarship programs for lodge members and their family.
- Submissions are final without modifications (changes, corrections, etc.).
- Students may not enter for someone else or enter more than once.
- Any social media results will be tallied at the end of the contest on the URLs provided.
- Essays will be graded on a 100-point system with points deducted for writing issues such as grammar and writing quality. Double-check your entry! Ask your parent to read it for you!
- BONUS POINTS: A well-written essay with no extra points will score higher than one with bonus points and mistakes.
- 2 bonus points will be awarded to entries when a parent(s) or guardian(s) grant permission by signed letter to use the entrant’s picture and essay in print or electronic (web-based) publishing.
- 2 bonus points may be gained by accompanying documentation from a faculty member that the essay was read aloud in front of a class or larger audience. This documentation must be on school stationery and copied to the head of the school and school district.
- 5 bonus points may be gained by providing proof that the entrant promoted this contest before February 1st, 2020 using social media. The link to this page must be shared with the promotion.
- 3 bonus points may be gained by reading the essay in person at our lodge at one of our meetings before final judging in June 7, 2019. See our website for our meeting dates.
- The best information about Odd Fellows may be found on this site and on the IOOF website (http://IOOF.org) and for California IOOF (http://CAIOOF.org) but these should be used primarily for fact-checking. There are numerous books, e-books and other materials on Odd Fellows that may tell more personal stories and give better insight into Odd Fellows. Our website includes a post about the “Grand Old Man of Lompoc” who was an Odd Fellow. You may find that in your family there is an Odd Fellow. Interview them. Gather ideas. Do your best and you can’t go wrong!7
Privacy and Legal
Your privacy is something we respect completely; no information collected will ever be sold. We will use your contact information only to notify you if you have won unless there are questions that arise from your entry. Entry in this essay contest lawfully assumes that you irrevocably release, indemnify and hold harmless the sponsor and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows national and state organizations for any reason.
If your entry is disputed as a violation of any copyrighted material or creates any legal issues, your entry will be disqualified and grants us freedom from any claims or penalties. If your entry is too similar to another entry, then both will be disqualified.
This contest is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations and taxes and are subject to revision only when necessary to respond to unforeseen circumstances which may alter the outcome.
Void where prohibited. No purchase or membership is necessary to enter or win. Rules are subject to change and entrant may withdraw at any time by phone or email.